With the recent release of this summer’s biggest box office ticket “The Great Gatsby”, there’s no question that the roaring 1920′s have begun to inspire every facet of the creative arts. From feathered fringe to bright metallics, the art deco look is a sophisticated tribute to both past and present, mixing earthy tones with geometric shapes that mirror the growing city skyline. In honor of this growing trend, we’ve put together a few living room essentials that will capture the essence of contemporary art deco design in your home:
1. We love the subtle nod to art deco design in this organic Shell wallpaper available in several color ways. This blush tone with earthy accents can easily act as a neutral backdrop to glam decor used throughout the space.
2. Combing french details with a streamlined frame, the Astor sofa from DwellStudio offers versatility for your living room like no other. Available in five different fabrics, we chose a dark finish (Banks – Toffee) to ground the space and create the illusion of a smaller scale.
3. Carry pops of shimmer onto your walls with this set of brass sea urchins. Fresh out of wall space? These little guys work just as well resting on a fireplace mantle or bookshelf.
4. Shed some light on your period tribute with the Slated Accent Lamp. Its gilded iron base draws inspiration from 1920s and 30s architecture without being too literal.
5. The clean silhouette of Crate and Barrel’s Toko Accent Table remind us of the cafe tables in 1920s restaurants and bars. The round top has a small lip allowing it to double as a tray – perfect for parties.
6. It’s often hard to go wrong with graphic patterns from Jonathan Adler, and this geometric Triangle Pillow is no exception. The embroidered shapes add the perfect amount of detail and keep this deco design from going flat.
7. The tone on tone grays of this embroidered Schumacher fabric give this vintage pattern a modern facelift and can be used in both masculine and feminine spaces. We recommend using as floor-to-ceiling drapes or as accent pillows.
8. The Turner Leather Chair offers comfort and durability in one stylish package. Place two of these opposite a large sofa or keep one tucked away in a cozy reading nook. Either way, both you and guests will be inclined to curl up and spend the day absorbing the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald himself.
9. Anchor your living room with the deco yet modern lines of this Black Bridgit Kilim Rug. Need to cover a large space? Don’t be afraid to have two (or more!) of these professionally bound together – the geometric pattern should match up beautifully.
10. Let this golden peacock weigh down your extensive collection of Charleston and Foxtrot dance manuals on the coffee table or bookshelf. The organic lines of this feathered friend lend themselves to an abstract work of art even the most astute aviary connoisseurs will appreciate.
11. Get the large surface area without adding a bulky piece of furniture to your space with the thin lines of this Othello Coffee Table. Its thin brass frame and antique mirror top blends the old word with the new.
Paint color (seen above): Benjamin Moore – Cumulus Cloud 1550